Friday, May 02, 2008



Phase One of Lightening Up the Family Room



Turned out a little more summerish than springish, but I like it. It feels light and fresh just how I wanted.








Pretty much everything I used is thrift store/junk shop finds. I found the gorgeous Staffordshire plates with amazing patina for 3.00 a piece. I am so in love with them. I wish they would have had dozens of pieces. I would have bought every last one.



The gravy boat was my Great Grandmothers given to me by my Grandmother on my wedding day 17 years ago. Until today I have never displayed it. Sadly my Grandmother is in the last few weeks of her life and I am so happy to be able to look at this piece of her everyday.


The bird cage I bought last week. It fit perfectly on the shelf just like I was hoping it would. I used some old books for color and the shells for texture. I most likely will be moving things around a bit more as I walk by it. I can't leave stuff alone to save my life. The curtains are next on the list. Hopefully I can get a good start on them tonight.


As for the red trunk, it is a work in progress. I need to do some collecting of accessories for it. I need a short, chubby, ratty lamp and maybe another trunk to set on top. I'm also considering putting some legs on it to raise it up a bit.


Hope everyone is having a fab Friday!


12 comments:

Darla said...

Oooh thanks for the pix on the shelves...just got some great ideas for the ones I just hung on my hall wall (ya know, the one I stole from you ;)

Kimba said...

Aimee - Love your shelves. And that birdcage is fantastic! I was the one who bought your little blue birds nest on etsy. Love it! I'll send you a picture when I decide what to do with it.
Thanks,
Kim

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Oh! It all looks so pretty!! You did a great job! Love the bird house and the gravy boat especially!

Sophee-a Laroo Bijoux and Sheri too said...

Black is HOT! Have that and pink in my master. Black is naughty and pink is nice LOL! The spring re-do looks great! Have a wonderful weekend :0)

Guardian Gear Equipment and Consulting said...

Aimee, it's gorgeous! I love the shells and that transferware is to die for. You've put together such an interesting grouping of items & textures but it all works so well. It looks like something out of a magazine! Love it!

Heidi said...

PS--that last comment was me, I was just signed in under DH's identity. Just so you aren't confused. :)

Valarie said...

That all looks great! I love the way you have it all displayed.

Ms Dragonfly said...

i'm sorry about your grandmother!

everything is so beautiful, i love the moss pot :) the nests further down are amazing!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Oh Aimee, that is the best looking wall display I've seen in ages! I love everything you did and those black shelves are killer! :-) Rosie

Marie said...

I love that Staffordshire plate! To DIE for! Everything looks very pretty and if you keep it up, I may have to copy you allll over again! :o)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Those are some great finds, Aimee! Love how you put it all together & great that you got something of your grandmother's.

Rhoda

Mrs. B said...

Everything looks great! Very springy and fresh! I loooove that plate! And the birdcage I just adore too! Hmmm, makes me want to change up my black display shelves!